Wednesday, May 28, 2008

New Jersey, Part II

Ah, New Jersey and your lax liquor laws (as compared to Pennsylvania). It's great to spend time in a state that has independently run liquor stores, especially the kind that can sell all types of alcoholic beverages. It is in one of these little gems I found myself on Thursday night (on my way to meet said college buddy). I guess it's the fact that there's not a store on this level within 30 miles of my home that I still get all giddy walking through the doors. At this moment the true name of the store escapes me, but I'm sure "Discount" and "Wines" were in there somewhere.

At any rate, somehow I curtailed my wanton desire to spend a small fortune and left only with a bottle of Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo Imperial Porter. Quite a find, IMO, among a solid selection of sixers, bombers, and 750s. The only thing that go me was the complete disorganization of the aisles. This did, though, make it more like a treasure hunt than shopping.

That evening, we grabbed dinner at Old Man Rafferty's in South Hillsborough. This place has a great atmosphere, sort of up scale American pub. The menu offers normal pub fare with some house offerings. Definitely get the chili (ether a bowl or on the Nachos) and I would recommend the Reuben, which was probably one of the best I've ever had, and that's saying a lot. On the beer front, they have the usual craft beer suspects such as Hoegaarden and Sam Adams. I had a draft of the only offering that I'd never head of, Acme California IPA. This was a hop-centric offering with a modest malt backbone. Unfortunately I didn't take notes, so we're going from memory, but if it serves me well, it was a solid offering. All in all, this place, be it off the beaten path, is definitely worth the stop.

Friday was a travel day, so after a quick meeting first thing in the morning, I was on my way. Now being the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend, I decided to take the "back way" across the Commonwealth, steering clear of any major interstate. That, and it just so happened that this way took me past Selin's Grove Brewing Co. in (where else) Selinsgrove, PA. Now I had heard a lot of positive feedback on this place, and it didn't disappoint. Set in historic Selinsgrove, PA, this brewpub is in the basement of an old house that has been turned into a commercial office building. Coming off the main drag, you wind down a stone staircase to a small patio surrounded by a garden. The interior is a rather "rustic colonial" motif, dark with low ceilings. It's a very comfortable atmosphere with a small bar. About 10 taps and two beer engines dispense a rotating cast of brews, the latest of which is the acclaimed The Phoenix Kriek. This alone was the reason I stopped. I needed to pick up a growler to share with my tasting club. While I was waiting on it to be filled, though, I did have a pint of SNAFU IPA on cask. This was absolutely incredible. It was a roasty, well hopped IPA weighing in at 7.2% that reminded me of Stone XI and my home brewed Batch XI. This would be a staple if I could get it bottled. Just fantastic.

I didn't get to eat at the brewpub, only the pint and growler and I was on my way. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the kriek, which I sampled while there, but didn't get the full effect since it was intermingled with the hoptasticness of the SNAFU. Selin's Grove Brewing is a definite "must see". I will be returning to this establishment.

As for future travel, I will be heading to DC tomorrow, and luckily staying next to a brewpub. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Dave

1 comment:

Jon (aka santoslhalper) said...

God bless you for grabbing the Kriek.