Wednesday, May 21, 2008

North Jersey, Part I

So It's Wednesday, and I'm playing catch from earlier in the week. Here we go.

I hit up Harvest Moon Brew Pub in New Brunswick right off the bat Monday evening for a sampler and an appetizer before meeting an old college buddy. I had seven of their offerings and a bowl of their French Onion Ale Soup (which was fantastic). The beer was hit or miss with some of the best offerings being their Elmes' Mild Manor (great stylistic example, IMO), Helles Bock Lager, (a clean example of a helles bock - very tasty), and their Full Moon Pale Ale (tops, IMO - a very tasty pale ale without being overpowering).

The Hops(squared) IIPA was the most interesting offering that they had. From reading the reviews, I expected a big American DIPA. It was far from it. Now I don't know if I should attribute this to the hop shortage, but the brewer used American, English, and German hops to make this intriguing ale. The hop flavor came from all of the varietals, causing them to compete with each other on the palate, giving this a peculiar character. It was just odd. Now, it did grow on me, but where I expected a big grapefruit/citrus nose and taste, I got a combative earthy/floral/semi-resiny citrus treat that really made my tongue go crazy. Good try, but I wouldn't recommend trying it again. There was just too much going on, and without a very solid backbone to balance it out, it really didn't work. But Kudos on trying.

Tuesday found me at Wegman's Wine and Spirits. Living in PA, anytime I can buy liquor/beer at a grocer, I'm happy. This place didn't dissapoint. It had a great bottle selection, both cold and shelf-temp, ranging from craft and import sixers to 750s and bombers from all over. The Belgian selection was pretty solid - nothing exotic, but it had the usual suspects for decent prices. I picked up a couple 750s from Ommegang, (Three Philosophers for $6.69 = awesome) and a bomber of Mikkeller. Not a huge haul, but I could have spent a lot more. Oh, and I did. Later in the evening, with the aforementioned college buddy, we returned to said grocer to pick up a couple sixers. My choice - Southern Tier IPA (very solid - I enjoyed it).

Today, said college buddy and I hit up The Office Beer Bar for a late dinner and a few pints. I stuck with a favorite, Stone IPA. The selection was pretty lacking for being called a "beer bar" with the usual craft suspects. The beer list was only about 45-60 offerings, and lacked a solid Belgian section, which IMO, makes a bar a "beer bar". Food wise, this place is solid, though. I had the Philly Steak and Cheese which was money, while the chicken sandwich my friend had looked tasty as well.

That's pretty much the week so far. I'm planning on hitting a few fun joints on the trip home, so there will be more to come.

Cheers,

Dave

1 comment:

Jon (aka santoslhalper) said...

"The beer list was only about 45-60 offerings, and lacked a solid Belgian section, which IMO, makes a bar a "beer bar"."


It makes my heart smile to hear you say this..